The stress and strain of constantly being connected can sometimes take your life -- and your well-being -- off course. GPS For The Soul can help you find your way back to balance.

Below, find five tools Deirdre Maloney swears by to unwind.

Shut up.
My mind spins, so when I get stressed I mindfully acknowledge how I’m feeling and make the decision to take a minute to breathe and to experience silence for a few moments. Once I am centered I can then pinpoint the reasons behind my emotions and focus on how to move through and past them.

Meditation.
I’ve recently begun a meditation practice of twice each day for a half hour. As I’ve always heard, this isn’t about that hour of time, but about the other 23 hours in the day. The deep silence and connection to who I am and what truly matters surrounds me like a blanket the rest of the day.

Exercise.
I work out hard. I sweat and I listen to great, upbeat music and interesting podcasts. I don’t focus on my problems while doing it, but instead find that working the toxins through and out of me cleanses me for the day.

Feel it.
I think it’s common to try to cover up or soothe the pain we feel in all kinds of ways. Sometimes it’s a matter of letting ourselves feel the discomfort for long enough to understand what it’s about, work out what’s behind it, and focus on how to get past it. It’s admittedly my least favorite, but one of my best solutions to stress.

Cut out the bad energy.
I’ve started turning off reality TV or the news after I’ve figured out the few items that mattered that day. I then embrace the silence or putting something on that helps me learn or entertains me in a positive way. I’ve also phased out people in my life with whom I tend to complain or gossip. This isn’t about them. It’s about our dynamic together and how we allow ourselves to be.